Monday 17 April 2017

Harvest Monday - on repeat

So this week I've been picking lots more brassica flowers and chard. I also had a big bag of sorrel from Eves Hill Veg Co, as it was time to clear the whole overwintered crop. And as I lack any imagination I've had pretty much the same meal four times - all of the above, chopped and sautéed...
That's right, stick an egg in it, my usual (eggs from our friends' hens)
Jan was out three of those nights so she only had it once, I think she'd have been a bit fed up otherwise. As a slight variation, we had noodles one time too.
Lunches have included overwintered lettuce from the lean-to, here with home-fermented carrot and roasted beetroot humus (which Jan made).
Talking of the lean-to, there are five shelves of seedlings coming along. I hope they're OK over the next few nights, which are meant to be pretty cold.
The peas are looking alright too
Down on the allotment the red currants are already forming
And the two dwarf apple trees at the end of the plot are now in flower together, hooray (as long as they don't get ruined by frost). I've earthed-up the early potatoes which were peeking through, and covered some of my strawberries which are in flower, so if we do get a frost or two hopefully some will make it through.
My saskatoon bush is in full flower, it looks lovely (the swing is sadly not mine, it's in the garden next door)
Lots of tasty berries to come hopefully (they're a bit like blueberries).

So, aside from the frost risk, things are going ok at the moment...lots of couch-grass weeding still ongoing though, in preparation for all those seedlings which'll need to go out in the next few weeks.

 

Thanks for reading...I'm linking in with Harvest Monday, kindly hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres

 

10 comments:

  1. Saskatoon berries?! How wonderful. I should try growing them here some time, although I believe there is a farm nearby where I can pick and pay. Saskatoon berry jam is a must for pierogies in these parts (OK, well I shouldn't speak for all of Canada, it's a must for me :) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi susie, yep I've had the Saskatoon bush a few years, started from a little stick I bought mail order. It gets a little bit bigger, with more berries each year. Ooh I've never made jam with them...probably not enough berries yet. They tend to ripen at different times too, so picked over several sessions , so I just add them to my fruit mix in the freezer (and eat some fresh). The bush doesn't need much looking after, I just mulch it with compost each year, nice n easy.

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of "stick an egg in it", I love eggs! Squash seedlings! I keep forgetting to sow my zucchini. Must remember to do it tomorrow. I hope the frost isn't too bad, it seems rather late for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle, glad to hear you're another egg fan! My 'proper' zucchini seeds (green fruits) haven't germinated yet but it was old seed so I might sow a new batch. The stripey courgettes and other summer squashes (patty pans) have germinated ok though, phew.
      Apparently the weather is going to get even colder this week, eep! I haven't been to the allotment yet to check if there's been any damage so far but hopefully will get there this afternoon.

      Delete
  3. The apple blossom is gorgeous at the moment isn't it? I too hope that frost doesn't manage to do any damage. Your Saskatoon looks lovely about how big do you think it will eventually grow?
    What about doing an egg fried rice with all your bits and pieces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sue, yes the blossom everywhere is beautiful?
      I just looked up the Saskatoon height - apparently up to three metres in the uk after about ten years....I think mine is growing quite slowly in that case!
      Egg fried rice is a good idea. I've got some more sorrel this week and a big bag of chard from another bed we cleared...hmm.

      Delete
  4. I think your fruits are running a bit ahead of us, though our blackberries are now starting to bloom. My carrots took a long time to ferment but now they are ready for tasting. I see them going on a sandwich in my near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, that's interesting, our blackberries aren't flowering yet.
      Yeah my carrots took ages to ferment too, I guess because they're so solid? Enjoy your sandwiches!

      Delete
  5. Looks like there is plenty going on... love the look of your seedlings, always so full of promise somehow!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, hopefully we'll get some good crops from the seedlings...though last year I lost a lot of squash plants to slugs once I'd planted them out. I'll be more vigilant this year, clearing any hidey places :)

      Delete