Monday 28 November 2016

Harvest Monday..and where did November go?

Well, we're at the end of November....that month has just whizzed past. I've been away at a couple of different places the last two weeks so missed out on the most recent Harvest Monday. BUT I do have a few things to mention this time round

 
At the weekend I snipped-off most of the peppers remaining in the lean-to....a couple had started to get soft spots so I didn't want to risk losing them all. Some were quite a decent size and it was nice to get a bit of red too.
I also wanted to use up a Crown Prince squash (actually my only Crown Prince squash) as the skin colour had started to fade so I was a bit concerned it might begin to rot. Inside it was fine though, so I removed the skin and cubed the flesh for roasting. It was so sweet...really tasty. The place I normally get my seeds from doesn't seem to have Crown Prince for sale this year so I've ordered Blue Kuri instead.
At the same time as the squash, I roasted some foraged chestnuts too, slicing down the middle so they don't burst. This is a pic before roasting. Ooh, we roasted some of the peppers as well, they were very nice too.
Today I managed to get a few hours in on the allotment, mainly weeding so I could plant out some garlic cloves. I also weeded around the base of two dwarf apple trees so the birds can get at any unwanted beasties in the soil. On the whole I'll try and keep my sandy soil covered over winter though, so the rains don't leach out the nutrients. I'll keep it covered with weeds! I did also harvest a decent amount of Nero kale and self-sown chard. It almost felt like spring out there today because the sun was so warm and the sparrows were chirping away. A little robin came to say hello too. But tonight it's meant to get down to minus 3 or 4, so that's a reminder of things to come this winter.
I used up some of the kale plus a couple of peppers in a scrambled egg dish tonight. Adding the kale right at the end of cooking just lightly wilts it and keeps the lovely dark green colour.
So, it was my birthday recently....the big Four-Oh (something's not right there...I'm sure I'm still late 20s). As you know, I enjoy a nice walk and a bit of nature so we spent the day over at Great Yarmouth, a seaside resort normally heaving with people in summer. At this time of year it's perfect for long walks on the beach, with hardly anyone around...apart from a flock of ringed plovers that were just up on the beach here...
Lovely sandy beach
Nelson's Monument...I hadn't seen it up close before.
Looking towards the harbour
And we fancied a bit more coastal action so spent a few days on the opposite side of Norfolk, at Hunstanton, another seaside resort, which actually faces west, into The Wash. It looks like open sea but Lincolnshire is on the other side, which you can even see on a clear day, and the lights at night. This is the view from our apartment...the beach here is full of tasty morsels for wading birds and we could see oystercatchers, curlews and turnstones without even stepping outside. I miss it! I have lots of photos from lovely walks but they're on my camera so I'll hopefully share some another time. I can definitely recommend an out-of-season trip to the coast though...lovely and quiet, and you don't risk leaving your veggies unattended.

Thanks for reading this week. I'm linking in with Harvest Monday, kindly hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres.

 

10 comments:

  1. Well done with the peppers. Belated Happy Birthday. I wish I was still only the little four oh!!!!!! I still think I'm a twenty something too - the mind stays young even if the body doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, hehe, yeah four oh isn't that old really :)

      Delete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday from me too! Those peppers look pretty amazing for this late in the season. I like your strategy on the apple trees too. I leave much of my garden cleanup until spring so the soil doesn't wash over winter. At least that's my story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave :D I grew more peppers this year (in pots on shelves in the lean-to) instead of tumbler tomatoes) and they did pretty well.
      Hehe, Definitely a good strategy to prevent winter nutrient wash-out. I've got plenty of other things to keep me busy at the allotment over winter anyway.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday Lou! Glad to welcome you the over 40 club...although I'll soon be entering the next one up ;) Those late season harvests are so satisfying, especially when you get a veg that is so atypical for this time of year like peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! Age is a weird thing, I'm the youngest of seven (including half sisters / brother), with the eldest in their mid fifties...he still seems about 30 to me!
      Having the lean-to attached to the back of the house gives the plants a bit of extra protection I think, which is handy.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday! 40 eh? So YOUNG... We visited Hunstanton once. I remember going out on a boat to see the seals. Also I remember visiting the Norfolk Lavender farm, which was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark :D
      Oh yes, we saw the boat trip advertised (it only runs there in the summer though), and the bus went past the Lavender Farm. We've been on seal trips further along the coast before (to Blakeney Point)... I did think about trying to fit one in this time but it was a bit of a trek back along the coast, have to save it for another time.

      Delete
  5. Belated Birthday wishes. I celebrated a Birthday in November too.
    I love that you still have a fantastic harvest coming from your plot, I do have some chard, but I think i will lose them over the winter season. Other than that some hardy herbs. I miss growing Kale, your dish looks yummy too. I picked some kale from the farmers market and it was so tough too cook, that if I was to make your dish, I'd have to put it in at the start to soften.Warm wishes as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen, Happy November birthday to you too. Hopefully your chard will put on some new growth in the spring, even if it dies back over winter...it's worth leaving it just to see anyway, if you're able. Hope you're keeping warm, brr :)

      Delete