Monday 7 December 2015

Harvest Monday - bit of a mix

It feels like I haven't had a majorly productive week, in allotmenty terms but there's been some bits and bobs. The weather's still surprising us with lots of rain and wind but we're lucky not to have had those terrible floods which northern England are suffering.
 
Okay, so I made another slow cooker squash stew, with chick peas and kidney beans. There was something not quite as nice as the last one - it might be because previously I used a butternut squash but this time round chose a muscade de Provence which seemed a bit watery.
I also made another spiced apple cake to take round to a friend's 50th and decided to use a lot less sugar (half the amount in the recipe). But I added a few chopped dates to increase the sweetness a bit.
I'm still sprouting seeds, which make a healthy crunchy addition to our lunches. They do seem to have slowed a bit now so I keep them on the kitchen window sill to maximise the light they get.

First soak your seeds in water overnight, then rinse them every day until they've sprouted enough. We're enjoying this particular mix, it has sunflower, Chickpeas, green, speckled green and brown lentils, mong and aduki beans

I've picked more lambs lettuce too, there's enough on the plot that's self-seeded to keep us going quite a while hopefully.

My friend Liz has very kindly given me some windfall apples from her mum's garden (where I grew some squashes this summer),so I'll have to process them all soon, they're a bit bashed and won't keep for long
She also gave me a jar of chutney made from her mum's apples too, bonus! (Her mum is Pat)
And finally, a work friend told me about some sweet chestnut trees on a bit of common land a few miles out of Norwich. I thought I might as well go and have a look and so yesterday headed out on my bike, cycling up and down hills against the wind. Rummaging around in the leaves under the trees I made a huge collection....
Tah Dah!
Yes, I was probably a bit late for these! The trees are quite prominent and it's a popular spot for walking so I expect the nuts were all harvested a long while back. Nevermind, I had a nice cycle ride and walk through the woods (and will try and remember to go there earlier next year)
That's me for now, linking in with Harvest Monday hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres

10 comments:

  1. I love sprouts, especially sunflowers, but I haven't been doing any lately. It sounds like the wild chestnuts are popular! In spring folks here go looking for morels, and most are quite secretive about their favorite spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, yes I like the sunflower sprouts too. It's funny that there are so many things you can eat the sprouts of but I would never have guessed sunflowers.
      Hehe, yep I can see why people are secretive about their favourite foraging spots

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of squash (unfortunately from the farm, not my garden) that have a soft spot & need using up and the squash stew sounds like the perfect way to go.

    And a few foraged chestnuts are better than none - I just purchased a bagful at the grocery store...not nearly as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, yeh I think I'll make that squash stew a few more times this winter, I still have some decent butternuts left but must keep an eye on them for soft spots.
      Well, those little chestnuts ended up in the compost. It was a shame but They were so small and a bit squidgy, I wouldn't normally have bothered picking them up. But I still have the chestnuts we collected the other week in the fridge that I need to make something with

      Delete
  3. We are having to try and use up some of our stored apples too but they have done well to keep for so long so we can't complain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sue, that reminds me I need to something with these apples. I did pick out the best ones for keeping but there's still lots to use.

      That's great yours have kept for so long and you had enough to keep you going too

      Delete
  4. I have never tried growing sprouts but you make it look so easy and good! I like the idea of mixing up the varieties in one jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, I think the key to successful sprouts is good quality seeds and remembering to rinse them at least once a day. Apparently if you sprout them in the dark as well they have a less bitter flavour but I haven't tried this yet.

      Delete
  5. I am hoping to do some sprouting next year, and i may bother you for advice. when i have done them in the past they have gone all mouldy or they don't germinate well :( Yours are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shaheen. I'd definitely get some fresh beans/seeds for sprouting. Earlier this year I was using a really old pack of Alfalfa and a lot of them didn't sprout but just went mushy, which ruined the whole batch. I've recently been using a mixed bag of organic beans and seeds (500g for less than £2) from a local whole food shop which all sprout and has made the experience much nicer than dealing with yucky mush :) I might also try sprouting some in the dark which is meant to taste less bitter

      Delete