Thursday 28 August 2014

Return of the gherkins (and Elderberries)

A v. quick pre-work post from me. Last night I was going to make more gherkin pickles as there'd been another good crop come on since Friday......

Nonchalant gherkins

 

But after work yesterday I went foraging for elderberries....I found a small tree I hadn't noticed before and it had amazing berries, yippee! It was kind of growing behind and from the base of another tree so had been hidden. Anyway, picking what I could reach from this tree and a couple of others gave me a big bag-ful, which then took most of the evening to pick off the stems.

If you're making a jelly or whatever straight away I think you can just use the whole lot without picking off (as you'll be straining off the liquid anyway) but I'll be waiting for apples, so have frozen them ( made some space in the freezer by using up some quorn and frozen rasps and gooseberries last night....not together, that wouldn't be pleasant.

Into the freezer

Right, off to work, boo.

 

2 comments:

  1. That's quite a haul I bet the birds weren't pleased with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the birds are happy enough....They still have more than me (amazing how many elders there are around once you start looking). I picked from 3 trees and reckon there must be about 15 in that area alone (and there's all the ones I can't reach of course...I'm only little) :D

    ReplyDelete