Monday 19 February 2018

Harvest Monday - February - time's a-flying

I had a coldy-flu-cough thing for a few days last week so didn't think I'd have much to write about this week. I was especially annoyed to be stuck inside during some sunny days. But hooray, towards the end of the week and over the weekend the sunshine continued and I spent a happy few hours pottering around on the plot, clearing weeds and laying out homemade compost. I try to disturb the soil as little as possible, so after hoeing off annual weeds I just put the compost on top of the cleared soil, easy peasy. For any perennial weeds (like the dreaded couch grass, which I've mainly got rid of already), I just loosen the soil with a fork and pull the roots out, without turning the soil over. This means that all the fungi highways moving nutrients throughout the soil remain largely undisturbed, the soil structure isn't damaged, the soil doesn't dry out as much and all the wee microscopic organisms can live happily, making a lovely nurturing environment for my veggies to grow nice and strong. 

Talking of which, I harvested more kale, leeks and mizuna this week. I'm really impressed with how well the mizuna does over winter without any protection. One thing I wish I'd checked on though is my purple sprouting broccoli....at some point recently the chickenwire mesh I had them covered with had been blown off by the incredibly strong winds...giving the local wood pigeons a tasty feast of PSB leaves, darn! So I covered them back over and fingers crossed they grow back again....they should do, plus I don't need that bed for ages so I'm not in a rush to remove the plants.

The last two nights we've had a surprisingly tasty saucepan-meal with the leeks, onion, garlic, kale, French beans (from the freezer), red lentils and tinned tomatoes, with mashed potato. As ever, it tasted better than it looked...

Whilst Jurrasic World was on TV the other night (I do like a dinosaur movie), I thought I'd be productive and crack open the rest of my hazels from the allotment. There's a nice big bowlful, which I'll toast in the oven next time we put it on...I love their flavour, it's so good.

And I figured it was time to use up the stored apples from the shed. Most have kept pretty well, wrapped in newspaper. I chopped these up and cooked with some mixed berries from the freezer - gooseberries, raspberries, black currants, and sweetened with a few spoonfuls of a previous year's elderberry jelly. That's breakfast toppings sorted for a while.

I haven't sown any seeds yet but today I brought in a trayful of compost to warm up....(and covered it with another tray so it doesn't dry out). I'm planning on growing some onions from seed this year, as well as from sets. I'll also start off some tomatoes and peppers in the next few days.  But most crops don't need sowing for at least a month or two so I'm not panicking just at the moment.

After a sunny few days, the weather took a damp turn today. It's off out to Eves Hill Veg Co volunteering tomorrow (community market garden) when apparently the drizzle will continue unfortunately but at least it's not the predicted minus six degrees coming later in the week! 

Thanks for reading, I'm linking in as usual with Harvest Monday kindly hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres.

Harvest Monday kindly hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres.

6 comments:

  1. With meal photos, I swear it's always 'looks good, tastes bleh,' or 'tastes good, looks bleh.' You just can't win! I'm very envious of those hazelnuts and especially the apples. We have little to no chill hours here, so those are the 'exotic' fruits I tend covet!

    Glad to hear you're feeling better, as being sick and managing a patch is no fun at all. What onion varieties will you be trying from seed this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Day, ha ha, yeah hopefully the meal photos will improve when we get longer days and better light in the evenings.
      I've never grown onions from seed before but was given a mixed pack of red and white, so I'm giving them a go using the Charles Dowding multi-sow technique (which is essentially - sow a few seeds per module, plant the whole module out, and then thin to 3 - 5 once they get to salad onion size, allowing the others to grow on to produce bulbs. He has a video on YouTube which shows the method). I'll also be planting out Sturon sets for brown onions.

      Delete
  2. We haven’t managed much work on the allotment. All this miserable weather turns our soil into mud. No seed swing here fir a while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sue, we've actually got a sunny day today but it's a bit cold and as the things I need to do outside aren't very vigorous it might be too chilly, so I might have a walk instead and do some seed sowing inside later (I haven't got round to sowing the onions yet).

      Delete
  3. You make a great job of pointing out the benefits of no-dig gardening! Your mizuna looks great compared to mine, which didn't like the below 0°F temps even with the protection of a cold frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. No-dig definitely has lots of benefits. I think it's a case of researching different methods and seeing what works for your individual circumstances. I was just reading an article which said how intercropping is really good for the soil as the roots of the two or more crop varieties produce different exudates, improving the soil conditions in the vicinity of the roots, and I thought 'hey I do that already, hurray'!

      Delete