Monday 19 September 2016

Harvest Monday - late summer / early autumn

It hardly seems possible that it's already mid September, but I probably think the same every year. I wasn't expecting to post today actually, as I'm just back from a few days away, but managed to get a quick harvest from the plot and back garden before it got dark.

A happy courgette, slowly growing along, plus some beans from the back garden
I brought back one of my butternut squashes as I noticed it had a split, probably caused by the bit of rain we had recently. I'll not use it up yet but it'll be easier to keep an eye on the condition of it at home. I have four more to bring back but they're not quite as ripe as this one.
The other side is fine
A smaller bowl of tomatoes this week but still quite a nice selection
And I picked five ripe 'lipstick' sweet peppers
I've still got a few more Lipstick fruits to ripen plus more of the Quadrato ones (below). It'll be interesting to see if these turn out to be hot/sweet like the first one
I think I'll pick some aubergines this coming week, the plants are beginning to look a bit worse for wear.
There were still quite a lot of veggies left in the fridge from last week and so tonight I cooked-up a big pot of goodies, and added a tub of cooked haricot beans and chickpeas from the freezer.
Very tasty, with quinoa on the side
Oh, and I just found a pic that Jan took this week whilst I've been away - she popped down the plot for me to check on things. You can always tell her photos...much better than mine!
Thanks for reading, I'm linking in as usual with Harvest Monday, kindly hosted by Dave at Our Happy Acres

 

10 comments:

  1. Your tomatoes and peppers always look so incredibly ripe and very picture worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did the right thing in bringing the damaged squash home, where the damage can't be exploited by slugs. The variable heat on the peppers is interesting - a bit like the "Russian Roulette" effect with Pimientos de Padron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, yes I should check the other squashes again, in case any damage has appeared on them too.
      The quadrato pepper wasn't meant to be hot so I wonder if it was a one-off. I'll find out soon!

      Delete
  3. Our aubergines are quite small but maybe also ready for picking. The variety Jackpot can be harvested on the small side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sue, Without looking it up I think I sowed black beauty aubergines but the fruit on one plant looks different to the others, so I'll have to check my seed packets - I might have been using more than one variety this year (e.g. If I got a pack free on a magazine sometime).

      Delete
  4. Well, that was a nice harvest to come home to! I have a couple of butternut with a bit of damage too, but in this case it's a claw mark from some sort of animal, I think. I've left it to continue maturing on the vine as the damage is tiny and those types of injuries tend to scar over and heal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret, hope you don't get anymore claw-mark damage. I wonder what critter would do that..? I guess the skin is thickening up now anyway so less likely to be damaged.

      Delete
  5. Those are indeed some lovely tomatoes and peppers! I had a butternut split on me too. I need to use it up soon I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave, yeah, where I've had a split squash before, the damage is fairly superficial, so hopefully lots of tasty flesh still for us both, just gotta watch out for mould developing in the damaged bit.

      Delete